Saturday, January 8, 2011

White Breasted Nuthatch


It's a fine September afternoon and I'm sitting on the deck waiting for the birds to fly in. This male White Breasted Nuthatch decides to spend some time at the seed block. I bought the block wondering who would go for it. The Downy Woodpeckers love it and so do the Nuthatches. Oh yes, the squirrel likes it too. 

For you photographers out there.......No, I didn't use fill flash on this. I don't use fill flash. It sure looks like it though but here's what's going on. The sun is shining from the tail end of the nuthatch and reflecting off the living room window at his beak end reflecting/glaring back on the nuthatch giving me the secondary light. But most importantly, the glare from the living room window is providing a wonderful catch light in the nuthatches eye. You will have to click on the picture to view the large version where you'll be able to see it. When photographing a bird, if I can't get that catch light in the birds eye, I will not take/keep the photo. That light in the birds eye brings brings the bird to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment