Saturday, January 8, 2011

Who's that peeking over the deck rail?


A female Red Bellied Woodpecker is testing the waters to see if it's OK to come to the deck while I'm sitting on the deck. She started out by flying down to edge of the rail and peeking over the edge to look at me before sneaking a peanut. She finally got comfortable with me and would land on top of the deck rail to say hello before grabbing her peanut and running. The males are another story. They are much more shy than this female. If the male sees me on the deck he'll just fly over to the park and look for bugs. The female is very vocal with her "chur-chur-chur" call. I love it. After a stressing day at work I'll hit the deck immediately when getting home and let the birds calm the savage beast.

No comments:

Post a Comment